Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Yes! Finally!

Well folks, it finally happened. And I'm very excited (in case you couldn't tell from the title of this post). I've been writing these posts daily (with only one exception) for a few weeks and finally, finally, it happened.

Vlad the Impaler is mentioned in today in history.

What he's mentioned for is not important. You know who good ol' Vlad is, right? Dracula!

For some reason I was mildly obsessed with Dracula as a kid. I recall being Dracula for Halloween several years in a row. The only bummer about being Dracula on Halloween is when you have to go trick or treating with your sister who is dressed as a ballerina. Dracula's a lot less frightening when accompanied by a ballerina. Ah well, it was nice of her to accompany me regardless.

At some point when I was slightly older I learned about the man behind the Dracula legends--Vlad the Impaler.

I'll make sure not to include the gory stuff here. But I do want to mention that dear Vlad is still revered by the Romanian people for his accomplishments while a ruler there. Of course, I have it on good authority that Romania has also declared their national TV show to be reruns of The Dukes of Hazard. So I'm not sure how much we can trust their popular opinion...

Ok, more awesomeness about Vlad: His Romanian last name (Draculea) means "son of the dragon". This comes from his father's title: Vlad the Dragon (equally amazing). Vlad the Dragon was also a member of the Order of the Dragon (I know, I know, I too am overwhelmed with all these awesome things). It doesn't stop there though. Young Vlad (later to become the Impaler) was inducted into the same Order of the Dragon at the age of FIVE.

I would love to see a bar brawl involving Vlad the Impaler, King Magnus V of Norway, Chuck Norris, and Staff Sergeant Max Fightmaster. For further information on two of these people, read my other posts. This is the first of my posts to mention Chuck Norris though. If you don't recognize that he would make a great contender in a bar brawl with the other three, well, then you don't know Chuck Norris.

Two things to note about Chuck Norris. 1) He doesn't need to be bulletproof. Bullets dodge him. 2) He counted to infinity. Twice.

Anyway, I hope to see more Dracula costumes this Halloween. Or perhaps a Chuck Norris costume combined with vampire teeth. Perferably unaccompanied by ballerinas.

Pictures:
Vlad the Impaler
Ballerina
General Lee (the car)
The Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment