Friday, June 19, 2009

Man, oh man!

Today's blog is going to be entirely different. I've cast away the concept (for today at least) of looking at this day in history and seeing where that takes me. Instead I shall look at this day in the future...specifically 2012.

Not too far off, right?

It all began this morning when I chanced to actually look at the Google ads on the right of my blog as I reviewed it. I noticed one I could not believe. Are these people for real? I had to go to their website. For anybody who's worried about this, don't fret. I did not click on the link because I know of Google's Terms of Service. I can't click on my own links to generate cash.

Anyway, I soon commenced the discovery of the fact that on Dec 21, 2012 the world will end. And it must be true because these people used science to prove it.

Institute for Human Continuity (IHC for short)

Ok, so apparently this is all a bit of a hoax, in preparation for the movie 2012 which is due to come out towards the end of this year. But still, the website is a lot of fun to peruse, I must admit. And the preview is pretty fun, too. A Tibetan monk eats it...hard.

Let me share with you some highlights I found from the website.

Oliver Platt is the White House Chief of Staff.
IHC is hosting a lottery to determine which individuals will be tucked away for guaranteed survival.
Australia seems to have the most registered lottery participants.
A survival pack should apparently contain canned food (that's one survival pack I don't want to heft around).
Floating cities are a real possibility (floating on water, that is, not air).

I highly recommend perusing the website. You definitely have to see, if nothing else, this interactive presentation of how it all happens. The cataclysmic events aren't depicted as much as I would have liked, but it's still pretty sweet. If you get stuck, just click on "Send Solar Flare" a couple times. It helps move the program along. There's another one here. There are multiple scenarios, too; I recommend replaying a few times. To get back to the website after either of those, just hit "Close" from the top right of that little simulation (not the very top right of the screen, Genius).

Yeah, just explore. I'm amazed at how much advertising has gone into this film!

My absolute favorite aspect of all this (let's see if you can find it) is to watch a clip of "Charlie Frost" (played by Woody Harrelson) in which he declares, "I think the sun will bombard the Earth with enough neutrinos to cause catastrophic crustal displacement. But hey, I'm a hopeless romantic."

Pictures:
Science
Floating City
Sun (doesn't this picture look like the sun just gave somebody an uppercut?)

No comments:

Post a Comment